The Backcountry Checklist
Must Do…before you leave home:
- Follow the Outdoor Safety Code.
- Attend an avalanche awareness course. Check out MSC's training page to find a course near you.
- Gather information from books, videos and websites.
- Plan your trip route, check weather and snow conditions on www.avalanche.net.nz
- Anticipate your actions. What you want to do often overrides your better judgement.
Must Do…when in alpine terrain:
Here's a clip that demonstrates the incredible power of avalanches.
- Check your surroundings for recent avalanche activity, changes in terrain, snowpack and weather.
- Learn to recognise avalanche terrain.
- Analyse the snowpack stability using recommended tests.
- Carry avalanche transceivers, probes and metal-blade shovels and know how to use them.
- Travel one at a time across potential avalanche slopes.
Are you avalanche savvy?
Do you know how to recognise dangerous avalanche terrain?
Do you know how to use rescue equipment?
Have you considered carrying a transceiver, a probe and a shovel?
Do you know what weather sequences lead to avalanche conditions?
Have you checked the Backcountry Avalanche Advisory at www.avalanche.net.nz
If this makes you feel a little under prepared, then check out how to receive certified avalanche education on our Training page. Topics covered include using your tranceiver, searching during an incident and assessing avalanche risk.