How a NZ tramp is planned
An in-depth study of behaviours of trip planning
Published October 2021
We partnered with Research NZ and the Department of Conservation to conduct an in-depth research project. The research was conducted online and targeted trampers who had booked/stayed at a DOC tramping facility between 1 November 2019 and 31 January 2020. Among many things the survey covered questions such as:
- How far in advance did they start planning their trip?
- What important decisions did they make as they planned?
- What type of information did they seek and where did they access this information?
- How did they record and share their plans?
Read it online
What can you do with this publication?
- Contact us for further information regarding our findings
- Embed or share with your networks
- Use key insights from this document and pair with the following: 'Sourced from The New Zealand Mountain Safety Council (MSC) – How a NZ tramp is planned - 2021'
Thanks to our partners for their contribution to this publication.
- Plan My Walk app | See where our research was applied in the development of our planning tool that allows users to choose tracks, get alerts, build a gear list and share their plan with others.