Plan Your Trip
Seek local knowledge, plan the route you will take and the amount of time you can reasonably expect it to take.
Whether it is a bushwalk, a multi-day tramp or a specialised outdoor activity, the planning of an outdoor excursion in New Zealand’s backcountry is essential for you to have a great time and also to make it home.
It doesn't take long to plan an outdoor adventure and will increase the likelihood of a fantastic time out.
Questions to ask when you plan
- Where are you going? Find routes online, talk to experienced friends and experts to find a trip that suits your skills. Do you need permission for the area?
- Who are you going with? How experienced are the group members? What previous experience and skills can they bring?
- How long will it take? - Each day and total trip time - Think about each day and the total trip / an achievable daily distance
- Where will you stay at night? Are there huts along the way? Will you camp?
- Where can you get local knowledge? Visit your local DOC centre, talk to locals or research online.
- What are potential hazards? Think about the weather, the season, the local area and understand what hazards could occur along your trip.
Plan your trip with your group members so everyone understands the story, right from the get-go.
Tell Someone Your Plans