Here's a little bit about our app
What is Plan My Walk?
We have been helping people explore New Zealand's outdoors safely for over 50 years, and here’s the next step. Plan My Walk is a brand-new app developed as a free one-stop shop for trampers and walkers alike.
The convenience of the tool takes the guesswork out of the important planning phase by bringing together a key range of information a walker needs when planning a trip in the outdoors, including track information, gear lists, alerts and weather forecasts.
Plan My Walk makes planning easy.
How does it work?
Users can search for a track by finding one on the map or by typing their preferred area or track name into the search bar.
By entering trip dates, the user will receive relevant alerts, MetService weather warnings and watches, a track-specific weather forecast, an interactive gear list, and automatic notifications are sent to users when there is an essential information update or change.
There are four alert types: MetService weather warnings and watches, Department of Conservation track, hut and campsite alerts, New Zealand Avalanche Advisory forecasts, and special alerts such as a rāhui.
We work to provide more thorough information on key tracks in New Zealand to help trampers learn more. Users can watch our own Tramping Video Series for specific tracks within the app too.
Where can you find it?
Plan My Walk is freely available online in the following locations:
- Desktop/tablet/mobile browser
- Apple Store IOS app
- Google Play Android app
Create a login and explore the app features:
- Explore the map and save NZ tracks to start building your plans.
- Access info about the tracks or see what huts and campsites are nearby.
- Get the latest weather and track alerts for your destination based on the dates you choose.
- View your packing list and customise your own items.
- Add your owns details to your trip plan.
- Share your trip with others and an emergency contact who will get an email of your trip plan.
- Edit your trip plan up until departure.
- Receive notifications of weather alerts closer to your trip.
- Get reminders to get in touch with your trusted contact after the trip.
- Leave reviews of tracks for others to learn what to expect.
What does it NOT do?
Plan My Walk is a planning tool only. It prompts safe planning before you go into the outdoors and makes sure you have one plan in one place.
- Book DOC huts or campsites, you can access these on DOC’s website
- Work as a navigation tool - take a GPS or map and compass on your trip.
- Work offline to call for emergency services or receive new alerts once you are out
- Contact emergency services on your behalf - so please, take an appropriate communications device.
Having fun or frustrations with the app?
We’re excited to have this app available to the public, but it’s future relies on people enjoying it and sharing it with others. So please share with your fellow tramping mates or if you have any thoughts, use the built-in feedback tool.
Stories or photos to share from your trips?
We’re keen to keep the photos in the Plan My Walk app fresh, so to possibly feature in the app email us your trip photos or use the hashtag on Instagram, #MakeItHomeNZ.
If you have any others questions please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover photo: Caleb Smith, Tararua Southern Crossing